So, I finally sat down last night and corrected the buttonholes on the sundress that I made for Baby Bird. I'm so glad I got this finished as this morning, the weather is perfect for sundresses... no, wait... it's throwing it down with rain again. Oh well. Small person was undeterred so the sundress is being worn as a pinafore.
I managed to snatch one quick snap before "Oooh, Mummy has the fun black box that makes the clicky noises and shows me pictures of me".
Anyway, if it ever stops raining, I will take some outside shots. In the meantime, I've played around with the great Pioneer Woman Photo Actions that I've just downloaded for Photoshop Elements and I'm pretty pleased with how the dress and Baby Bird look given the haste with which these were taken in my slightly gloomy hallway.
As for the dress, I'm pretty pleased with it. I need to work on my buttonholes and may actually try doing the next lot by hand with embroidery silk for a thicker, more stable buttonhole and hopefully a neater finish. However I think this set would have come out better had I not muffed up the length and had to tweak them. Note to self: concentrate!
The pattern is "Watch the Birdie" from Making Baby's Clothes by Rob Merrett, but minus the applique. This transforms it into the easiest sewing project in the whole world since it is just two pieces (or in my case 3 - I seamed the back so that I could squeeze this dress out of what was left of the 76 cm remnant I snaffled from DotsnStripes after I'd finished making the skirt for the dress she wore to the wedding that I keep promising to show you but failing to take pictures of), some bias binding and two buttons. The fabric I know very little about: it was called Elisabet and I picked it up in late December along with a bunch of other remnants. DotsnStripes have a particularly good remnants page I think and I will be popping back over there regularly to pick up bits and bobs since I rarely need a full metre to make stuff for Baby Bird. I'm really pleased with the fit - there's growing room but not so much that it looks ridiculous and the A-line is really flattering over her big fluffy washable nappies. I will definitely be making more of these...