About Me

My photo
Currently, I'm a stay-at-home mum to an inquisitive and often rambunctious three year old girl and her sunny little brother. In a former life, I was a lawyer. I know which I prefer. On the odd occasion that I get some downtime, I knit, crochet, read, sew, sing badly, dance even more so, enjoy a glass of wine and watch bad TV, sometimes in varying combinations of the foregoing and not necessarily in that order of preference.

Thursday 19 September 2013

The ordinary moments can be the most magical


A blogger whom I love (and happened to meet randomly at a knitting convention shortly before we both had our first babies) has been joining in this linky from Mummy Daddy Me.  She has been posting the most adorable photos and stories and I have been enjoying looking at all the different little everyday ordinary things that inspire her and the others who've been linking up.  Capturing those little moments can be so difficult and yet they are the true sweet spots in a tough day, the moments that remind you why you do all this and why you had kids and they are also the moments that fade away before you even realise it.  I totally get why this linky is popular. 

I think having my second baby has made me realise how quickly the memories fade.  The number of times I find myself thinking "Baby Bird never did X" and yet I know she probably did. It is probably the secret if why people are able to have more than one kid - some of the memories need to be dulled in order for you to voluntarily endure them again - but it is a shame when you realise all these happy little moments have disappeared from your grasp.

I hadn't felt brave enough to share my own moments, fearing that the quality of my pictures really isn't up to it.  But then this happened yesterday:

And I realised that the quality of the picture is neither here nor there.  This moment is special and it is worth sharing.  This is the moment that I found my two children playing together, by themselves, of their own volition for the first time and it is a magical moment for any mother and also for any siblings. It needs to be captured and, even if my photo is a snap taken on my iPhone rather than one of the gorgeous shots the rest of the wonderful photographers who are involved in this project are taking, I hope no-one will mind me including it. Because this is why I had children; to have moments like this,


2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos, and thank you so much for joining in. Please don't worry about the quality of them, all of mine are taking with an iphone, and so are most of the others. All that matters is you share your moment.

    I think the best thing for me about being a Mummy to two is that I get to watch the interaction between them developing every single day. My biggest daughter has always been amazing with her little sister, and the way in which my youngest stares at her makes my heart melt. It is so wonderful to be able to witness a hopefully lifelong friendship start to grow.

    I completely agree with your last statement, that is exactly why I had children too- for those ordinary heart warming moments.

    It's lovely to find your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you for the compliment, I'm blushing!

    Your pictures, and your babies, are just gorgeous - there's nothing like finding them playing together to make your heart swell and your fingers itch for a camera!

    And also - how big have these girls of ours got!

    ReplyDelete